Sunday, November 7, 2010

What Not to Teach

The following is a list of traits that, as parents, you probably don’t want to see in your kids. Unfortunately, if something isn’t done with the education system, these may be the characteristics that dominate life as we know it.

This list is by no means exhaustive, nor is it indicative of all levels or boards of education. Still, it is disturbingly prevalent, wouldn’t you say?

Irresponsibility
“But sir, I couldn’t work on it this weekend! It was my birthday!”

Enter the completion contract. Kids can negotiate when they will be able to hand in their assignment past the due date. Here’s one way to encourage kids to ignore deadlines and the consequences of not meeting them. Consequences? What consequences?! Hand in your work whenever you feel like it, kids. There’s no rush.

Lack of Resourcefulness
“But how am I supposed to remember that? We studied it last semester!”

We don’t blame you for not remembering the material from last semester! After all, your only goal was to memorize just enough to get a good mark, not to actually understand and retain the information! I mean, we’ll just spoon-feed you the material again this year!

Lack of Resiliency
“How could I not pass the course? I handed everything in.”

Well, if the kid handed everything in, then of course he/she should pass! I mean, that’s the way it happens in elementary school, right? We don’t want to damage their delicate self-esteem, do we? All in favour of passing kids who aren’t fit to move on, say I...

Entitlement
“I didn’t skip; my parents signed me out.”

Isn’t it nice when you can ‘legitimately’ miss school because your parents say so? Why leave the the job to the professionals? Now with more power shifted from teachers to parents, you can do all the things that you should be doing during your spare time (like going to dentist appointments and visiting family) during school time. It’s brilliant!

Ill-preparedness
“I can’t understand this! Why am I so dumb?!”

Now, now, kids. Don’t blame yourself for not being able to cope with the work of higher grades. It’s not your fault that you were pushed through elementary school, even when you clearly weren’t grasping the concepts. Failing in elementary school would have harmed your self-esteem. Failing in high school is a reality check. Chin up, kid. There’s always starting up your own lemonade stand...

No comments:

Post a Comment