Saturday, November 6, 2010

Madonna Can Have Her Manolo Blahniks

My shoes will be special in their own way

I’m not one of those shoe fanatics who spends all her money on Christian Louboutin sling-backs or Prada pumps. Nor am I of the same opinion as Madonna, who said, “Manolos are better than sex.” But I love a beautifully crafted shoe. Someday I am going to indulge in a pair of custom-made shoes. I don't know if this purchase should be a reward for a difficult achievement or a simple, celebratory splurge. What I do know is that I have narrowed the list of potential personal shoemakers to three finalists:

Parisian Shoemaker

I don’t have a name for this cordonnier, whose atelier is crammed into a side street of the fascinating Le Marais district of Paris. Wandering these lanes on a recent trip, I peered through the shop window at teetering towers of leather and suede, and a jumble of shoes and boots in every style.

Inside, I glanced up to see the most remarkable thing – a hand-painted ceiling fresco of Adam, Eve and the serpent, transfixed by an exquisite orange leather sling-back with a black patent toe cap and kitten heels.

I will never forget that shop, and I believe that the most magical shoes could be made in a place of such whimsy and charm.

James Taylor

While traipsing through the charming Marylebone neighborhood of London last December, I spotted a sign for the shoemaker James Taylor and Sons. I love the heartfelt music of the same-named singer-songwriter, and my research tells me that this shoemaker is equally talented in his art. I imagine his shoes will put a song in my heart!

Daniel Day Lewis

Daniel Day-Lewis at event of The 80th Annual Academy Awards

This handsome Irish actor is the third contender to become my personal shoemaker. There is a bit of a controversy about whether he actually gave up acting for a time to study shoemaking in Italy… But he will remain on my shortlist until further notice.

Who will be the lucky purveyor? What style will prevail? Will it be London, Paris or Dublin? Is it more fun to dream about the possibility than to actually have the shoes made? Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment